In order to take care of mapping your Namecheap domain to your Placester site, you will need to change both your A-Record (IP address) and CNAME (hosting platform) to Placester specific settings. The article on this page will walk you through this process. If you run into any trouble, we recommend speaking with Namecheap directly as it is their product. You can submit a ticket or connect to live chat at support.namecheap.com.
Having Namecheap map your Domain
If you are going to have Namecheap take care of Domain Mapping for you. You will want to provide them with the following settings for pointing your site to Placester.
1. Forwarding: OFF
2. Nameservers: Set to DEFAULT
3. A-Record: 22.214.171.124
4. CNAME: domains.myrealestateplatform.com
After this is done move down to the bottom of the document and follow the instructions for your Placester site.
Mapping your Namecheap domain on your own
Click Sign In in the top left to get logged in. If you can't remember your password, click Forgot your password?
If you're having trouble logging in, create a ticket or start a live chat from Namecheap's support center.
Member Home Page
Once logged in, you'll see the dashboard. In the left sidebar, there is an option to view your Domain List. Click here to access your purchased domains.
On the Domain List screen, click on Manage to access the settings.
On the domain details page, click Advanced DNS.
Two records need to be added within the Host Records section.
Step 1: Change the A-Record
- Type: A Record
- Host Name: @
- Value: 126.96.36.199
- TTL: 60 min
Step 2: Change the CNAME
- Type: CNAME Record
- Host Name: www
- Value: domains.myrealestateplatform.com
- TTL: 60 min
The settings should look like this:
Click Save All Changes when this is complete.
Site Settings > Custom Domain
This will bring you to the Custom Domain slide out.
Custom Domain Slide Out
Within the custom domain slide out, add the custom domain that you're looking to use. Use only lowercase letters, and be sure to include “www” when adding in your URL. Example: www.placester.com
Click Add Domain, then click Save.
If you've made all of these changes and are finding that your site still isn't loading, here are some potential causes:
1. Caching: You have a cached copy of the site on your browser. Try clearing your cache, using a new browser or testing the site on a mobile device.
2. Propagation: DNS adjustments take longer to propagate with certain domain registrars. We like to test and make sure everything has propagated using www.WhatsMyDNS.com.
3. Errors in Site Settings > Custom Domain: make sure that you included the www before the custom domain and you didn't use any capital letters. Otherwise, the site will not load.
Pro Tip: DNS Tools
Here are some DNS tools that we recommend:
Need More Help?
If you have additional questions about pointing your custom domain to your Placester site, let our support team know at email@example.com.